Skip to content Skip to navigation

Latest information about the University's response to COVID-19 • Academic questions are extensively answered in the TeachAnywhere FAQ


March 1, 2021 - the ePay portal was upgraded to improve its look and feel!

To expedite your payment, please use Stanford ePay.  Due to pandemic-related delays, please allow 2-4 weeks for paper check processing.

Read student communications sent from our office here



U.S. Citizen and Resident Alien Students

U.S. Citizen and Permanent Resident students who receive a scholarship, fellowship or grant from the University will not receive a tax document reporting this income. (Non-resident students will receive a 1042-S reporting this income for use in filing their federal tax return.) However, students may need to self-report a portion of this income on their tax returns.  See IRS Publication 970 for detailed information on tax reporting requirements for scholarships and fellowships.

The items presented below are for general information only and do not constitute tax advice. The University encourages recipients of student aid to seek qualified tax counsel when appropriate. 

In general, any ‘non-qualified’ scholarship/fellowship/grant funding that a degree-seeking student receives is tax reportable income.  Funding applied to tuition and other enrollment fees that are required of all students is considered ‘qualified’ scholarship and is not tax reportable.  Fees required for enrollment at Stanford are:

  • Health Insurance
  • ASSU
  • Campus Health Services
  • Document

U.S. citizens and residents should file federal Form 1040 and the California State Form 540. Any funding that a student receives in excess of tuition and the required fees above should be self-reported on the student’s tax return.  To review the funding that you received and the required fee charges, see your ‘View Financial History by Term’ in Axess.  Fees are listed in the Charges section and funding that you received is listed in the Payments section. 

The U.S. tax year is from January 1 – December 31.  The first academic quarter of a tax year is winter quarter and the last is autumn quarter. For example, Tax Year 2018 is comprised of winter 17-18, spring 17-18, summer 17-18 and autumn 18-19.